'The American Road' has long held fascination for travellers who want to explore at their own pace. Picture yourself enjoying endless horizons as you explore California's lush landscapes and National Parks, Florida's beautiful beaches and exciting theme parks, and The South's rich history and vibrant music scene, all at a pace which suits you. The choice is yours to book one of our suggested itineraries or to let us help you plan your perfect self-drive. We have chosen Alamo as our trusted car rental partner because of their numerous car rental locations and extensive fleet of modern, reliable, air-conditioned vehicles. Plus...Alamo offers:
- Over 40 years’ experience in the leisure car rental industry
- A fleet of over 1.4 million cars to choose from - economy vehicles to convertibles, minivans and SUVs
- The newest fleet – less than 1 year old
- Choice – cars are booked by group and at some airport locations you will be able to choose the car you want from all those available in that group
- Package options – Alamo offers a choice of coverage options, from Fully Inclusive to Alamo Gold
- The flexibility to book one-way rentals with fees payable locally
- Instant systematic vehicle booking confirmations up to one year prior to departure. Subject to availability
Please note: Free One-Way Rentals are available within California* & Florida only.
*Exceptions apply, please contact us for more details.
CHOOSE THE RIGHT CAR
US cars are large, but the boot space tends to be smaller than you would expect for the size of the car in the UK. Please ensure that you choose a car that will accommodate all of your luggage and not just the passengers that are travelling, or children travelling in infant seats. We recommend you take a car one size larger than you have at home. Please see Alamo's car groups below:
BOOK YOUR GPS FOR PEACE OF MIND
Alamo can provide easy step-by-step directions to your chosen destination with a Garmin nuvi GPS. Please call our specialist travel advisors to pre-book your car hire.
Top tips for driving in the USA
- Most rental cars in the USA have automatic transmission
- You drive on the right hand side of the road, on the left hand side of the vehicle
- When filling up at the petrol station, you will be required to prepay for your fuel
- There are plenty of toll roads throughout the USA, so always keep some change handy
- You are allowed to turn right on a red light, if there is no oncoming traffic of course!
- Undertaking is regularly practiced in America, so be awars of other vehicles doing this unexpectedly
- A GPS system is a must when you are on a self drive holiday
DON'T FORGET YOUR LICENCE!
To hire your car you must ensure you take your British photo card driving licence with you. You cannot hire an Alamo car without your licence. Please note: car hire prices are not available to anyone with a US or Canadian driving licence. If you present such a licence you will be charged again at local rates and will not be refunded in the UK.
You will be asked for a credit card imprint when collecting the car as a surety against fuel costs and late returns etc. UK debit cards are not normally accepted and if they are, your account will be debited with a significant value at the start of the rental. Credit cards are not charged until the end of the rental. The card must be in the lead driver's name.
Rental cars may be driven into Canada, but must usually be returned to the US. One-way cross-border rentals permitted in certain locations. Rental cars may not be driven into Mexico and driving on any unpaved road will void any CDW coverage.
RETURNING YOUR CAR
Rental period prices are based on 24-hour periods, meaning a car picked up at 10am must be returned by 10am on the last rental day to avoid any additional charges. Late returns will be charged at the local rate plus an overstay fee. No refunds are available for early returns.
Funway Holidays are committed to providing a range of adaptive driving devices for our customers with disabilities. Adaptive driving devices include hand controls, left foot accelerators, spinner knobs and pedal extenders. Adapted vehicles are subject to availability and are on a request basis. Please call us for further details.
Above images are from the 2017-18 fleet, correct at time of print. All drivers must be 21 or over and carry a full driver’s license. Underage Drivers – Drivers under 25 incur an additional fee, which has not been included in our prices. Infant & Child Seats – Children up to five years old are required by law to be transported in approved child seats. These must be requested at the time of booking and will be charged locally. Satellite Navigation systems are not included within the cost of your rental – unless otherwise stated. You must purchase one of our GPS inclusive packages if you wish to purchase pre-paid Sat Nav. Otherwise, please request at the relevant Alamo depot upon arrival (additional daily fees will apply). One way rentals are permitted throughout the USA for all vehicles except economy cars. They are subject to availability and must be pre-booked. One way fees apply depending on routing, all fees are payable locally and also accrue additional local taxes. Vehicle upgrades arranged locally at Alamo rental stations will be charged at a daily rate, which may be considerably higher than the Funway Holidays upgrade fees offered at the time of booking. Any local fees will be printed on the Alamo Rental Agreement, which you should check carefully before leaving the depot. Funway Holidays will not be liable for any additional costs incurred as a result of your decision to upgrade or purchase optional extras locally. *Certain car rental prices do not include free one-way drop-off, this will be clearly shown.