Explore Guanacaste, Costa Rica's Golden Coast with Funway Holidays
Set between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea and linking the continents of North and South America, Costa Rica occupies just a small proportion of the earth’s surface and yet is home to 6.5% of the world’s biodiversity.Guanacaste is a geographically diverse region in the north western corner of Costa Rica stretching from the border of Nicaragua to the Bongo River estuary in the Nicoya Peninsula. Often referred to as the ‘Golden Coast’, the incomparable beauty of Guanacaste’s landscapes which range from tropical dry forests to lowland mountain forests, its beautiful beaches, warm climate, as well as its flourishing nature, have made this province a favorite of locals and tourists alike.
Click here to view our detailed itinerary >>
- High up in the mountains of Guanacaste, visitors have the
opportunity to experience ecological tourism in a natural and picturesque environment. Aside from adventures which include ziplining, a mountain water slide, horseback riding and thermal springs they can also explore Barra Honda National Park (home to Costa Rica’s only underground caves) or visit Ostional Wildlife National Refugee and marvel at the arrival of the Ridley sea turtles.
- Located in one of the country’s most diverse national parks, the Guanacaste Range is home to two of the biggest wildlife centerpieces: Rincón de la Vieja and Orosí.
- Stretching down from the northwestern coast, the shores of the Guanacaste region are met by the waters of the Pacific Ocean. The most popular beaches include Playa del Coco, Playa Flamingo, Playa Conchal, Tamarindo, and the Papagayo Peninsula. Guanacaste beaches are unlike typical coastal destinations; here you will still find rainforest backdrops as opposed to built-up resort areas.
- Guanacaste offers variety of luxury resorts and hotels, while accommodation in Papagayo and Nosara are mostly wellness and spa retreats. The region is well known as wellness getaway – with options of yoga in the rainforest and hot thermal pools at Rincón de la Vieja. The Rio Perdido and Tabacon thermal pools are located in the rainforest and the water comes from directly under the volcano.
- For those in search of a folkloric, cultural and historical experience, there are various projects that take place at established farms that are brought back to life with the lively re-enactments of respected Costa Rican traditions. Adventure beckons at local horse and cattle ranches that recall the region’s cowboy heritage.
- One feature of a Guanacaste honeymoon is the adventure-laden regions that also offer numerous relaxing activities for couples to simply enjoy each other’s company. Options include snorkelling on the coast, soaking in the region’s hot springs, sailing away on a romantic sunset cruise in the Gulf of Papagayo and enjoying a luxurious wellness break at a romantic beach retreat.
Sightseeing & Tours
- Santa Rosa National Park protects a very important area of dry forest, characterized for being unique in Central America. It has two sectors: Murciélago and Santa Rosa, each has beautiful beaches rarely visited, among which are: the Hachal, Danta, Coquito, Santa Elena, Blanca Naranjo and Nancite. The park is recognized for its wildlife and there is a biological station that monitors animals such as white-tailed deer, howler and white-faced monkeys, sea turtles, reptiles and amphibians, among others.
- Guanacaste offers variety of luxury resorts and hotels, accommodation in Papagayo and Nosara are mostly wellness and spa retreats. The region is well known as wellness getaway – with options of yoga in the rainforest and hot thermal pools at Rincón de la Vieja. The pools are located in the rainforest with the water flowing from directly under the volcano.
Our Recommended Hotels
5* SECRETS PAPAGAYO COSTA RICA
Set on a black volcanic sand beach and with a backdrop of lush mountainous surroundings, the Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica offers an intimate, relaxing and romantic getaway.This oceanfront resort has spacious guest rooms and suites, finely appointed amenities and all the benefits of an Unlimited-Luxury® experience. Feel refreshed and inspired by the unique stunning natural attractions of Costa Rica and Guanacaste.To find out more about Secrets Papayago Costa Rica click here >>
5* DREAMS LAS MAREAS COSTA RICA
With a picture-perfect setting on an expansive palm-studded beach and lush tropical jungle surroundings, and only minutes away from Santa Rosa and Guanacaste national parks, Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica spacious guest suites offer havens of relaxation and luxury, and great views of the beautiful surroundings. Guests enjoy all the extensive benefits of the Unlimited-Luxury® concept and children and teenagers have their own dedicated clubs.To find out more about Dreams Mareas Costa Rica click here >>
4* MARGARITAVILLE BEACH RESORT
The Margaritaville Beach Resort offers its guests a relaxing and casual beach vibe and authentic Costa Rican hospitality. The rooms here overlook tropical gardens, the large pool and the Pacific Ocean tempting you to lounge on the pristine beach, enjoy paddleboarding on Pacific waves or just relax by the sparkling outdoor pool with its swim-up pool bar.To find out more about Margaritaville Beach Resort click here >>
4* EL MANGROOVE, AUTOGRAPH COLLECTION & SPA
A casual yet luxury boutique hotel, El Mangroove is set in 17 acres, just steps from the beach and noted for its perfect mixes of wood and water, alongside contemporary linear architecture, natural furnishings and subtle splashes of colour in its design. At the resort guests can enjoy paddle-boarding escapades, ride bicycles to explore the neighbouring town, have a yoga session to reenergise, or take kayaks to venture into the Gulf of Papagayo.To find out more about El Mangroove, Autograph Collection click here >>
11 DAYS IN GUANACASTE & COSTA RICA
Marvellous Costa Rica - 11 days from £2299pp
The mountains in the area surrounding the famous Rio Celeste will be the first stop on this 11-day tour. Visitors get the chance to explore some of Guanacaste’s breathtaking national parks and experience the unforgettable Monteverde Cloud Forest on the Sky Tram and Sky Walk guided tour, which combines trails and suspension bridges with lengths of up to 984 feet and dizzying heights above the canopy of Monteverde Cloud Forest. For the more adventurous there will also be lots of activities and attractions to discover at your leisure in beautiful Guanacaste.
- At Rincón de la Vieja National Park discover the craters of an active volcano.
- Guanacaste is a surfing and snorkelling hot spot, and is renowned for its idyllic white-sand beaches.
- Nicoya Peninsula is one of the five blue zones in the world.
- Zip-lining, a mountain water slide, horseback riding and thermal springs are just a few of the highlights of Barra Honda National Park.
Remember, we can tailor-make your fly drive holiday to suit your customers’ needs, including car rental. You can contact our travel experts today on 0208 290 9754 / 0844 557 0626
Day 1: London – Guanacaste
Fly into Liberia internationa Airport at the start of your Guanacaste adventure. You will be heading to the mountains located near Celeste River, in the close surroundings of the Tenorio National Park.
Stay 2 nights at the Celeste Mountain Lodge (or similar).
Day 2: Celeste River Area
In the morning, you will enjoy the visit to Rio Celeste. There is a hike tour of 5 miles (approximately 4 hours) through the tropical rain forest and you will enjoy visiting “Los Teñideros” of the Rio Celeste, the site where two streams of crystalline water come together and form the heavenly color blue that gives the river its name. You will return through trails, rich with ecological wonders.
Day 3: Celeste Area & Arenal Volcano
Continue on your journey, as you will be heading to the Northern area of Costa Rica, home of the famous Arenal Volcano. The main attraction of this area is by far the Arenal Volcano, which rises 1,633 meters above sea level showing off one of the main characteristics with its almost perfect conic shape. In the area, there is a diverse line of activities and attractions to discover on your own.
Stay 2 nights at the Lomas del Volcan Hotel (or similar).
Day 4: Arenal Volcano Area
Enjoy a boat tour to the Caño Negro wildlife refuge and Rio Frio Wetlands surroundings. They are an intense biologically diverse ecosystems in Costa Rica, serving as sanctuary of a wide variety of flora and fauna. Caño Negro forms mostly in the rainy season and during the dry season it is reduced to little lagoons, channels and grasslands which provide perfect conditions to host thousands of migratory and endemic birds, including wood storks, spoonbills, ibis, anhingas, and the Jabirú (the largest bird in Central America and currently an endangered species). The Rio Frio riverbanks provide shelter for various endangered species including the ancient garfish, cougars, jaguars, tapirs, ocelots, peccary and several species of monkey, as well as the Three-Toed sloths, reptiles and turtles.
Day 5: Arenal & Manuel Antonio
Today, you will be transferred, to the coast, to one of the most beautiful Central Pacific beaches, the area of Manuel Antonio. This is one of the icons of ecotourism in Costa Rica, offering enchanting white-sand beaches ideal for swimming, and tropical rainforest forest filled with wildlife, perfect for spotting monkeys and iguanas.
Stay 2 nights at the Villas Lirio Hotel (or similar).
Day 6: Manuel Antonio
During the morning enjoy a half day tour in the Manuel Antonio National Park (closed on Mondays). This National Park contains a charming combination of exuberant tropical forest and gorgeous beaches with clear waters. Its habitants are beach vegetation, lagoons, mangrove swamps, 109 species of mammals and 184 species of birds. After the internal hike at the park, if you would like, you can stay on your own even for more time to relax, enjoy the beach and sunbathe.
Day 7: Manuel Antonio & Monteverde
During the morning enjoy a half day tour in the Manuel Antonio National Park (closed on Mondays). This National Park contains a charming combination of exuberant tropical forest and gorgeous beaches with clear waters. Its habitants are beach vegetation, lagoons, mangrove swamps, 109 species of mammals and 184 species of birds. After the internal hike at the park, if you would like, you can stay on your own even for more time to relax, enjoy the beach and sunbathe
Stay 2 nights at the Monteverde Ficus Lodge (or similar).
Day 8: Monteverde
Today you will visit the Sky Tram and Sky Walk in Monteverde. Firstly, start with Sky Tram guided tour with short intermediate stops to observe the cloud forest biodiversity, the Arenal, Tenorio, Miravalles and Orosi volcanoes, the Nicoya gulf, and the Guanacaste plain if the weather allows it. Then, enjoy Sky Walk guided tour, which combines trails and suspension bridges with lengths of up to 984 feet and dizzying heights above the canopy of Monteverde Cloud Forest.
Day 9: Monteverde & Rincón de la Vieja
Rincón de la Vieja provides a combination of tropical dry forest and countryside. The area surrounding the Rincon de la Vieja volcano is characterised by enchanting waterfalls, bubbling mud spots, steaming vents in the earth, hot springs, and a whole host of wildlife
Stay 2 nights at the Hacienda Guachipelin Hotel (or similar).
Day 10: Rincón de la Vieja
Hike the Las Pailas loop trail, 2.5 miles through dry tropical forest to see spectacular views in the distance of the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano and wildlife. The park is home to more than 300 bird species, and other animals like armadillos, collared peccaries, iguanas, white-nosed coatis, and different species of monkey.
Day 11: Monteverde & Rincón de la Vieja
Begin your return journey home from Liberia International Airport, or choose to extend your stay with a few days of rest and relaxaation at one of Guanacaste's beach hotels.
INCLUDED IN OUR GUANACASTE HOLIDAY
- Hotel accommodation & transfers
- Tours listed above
- Economy flights from London
- Airport taxes, fuel & duty
- Selected meals
- Any applicable offers
Not included: Beach accomodation, car hire, optional sightseeing & personal expenses.
Flights from regional UK airports available.
Remember, we can tailor-make your holiday to suit your needs, contact our travel experts today, call us on 0208 290 9754 / 0844 557 0626