Louisiana is the fun, crazy sister of the Southern states family. If you are looking for that authentic slice of American culture, look no further.
Located on the Gulf of Mexico, between Texas and Mississippi, Louisiana is the birthplace of jazz, Cajun and zydeco music; the cocktail; and famous recipes such as gumbo, Oysters Rockefeller, Crawfish Etouffée and Bananas Foster.
Louisiana offers a multitude of experiences to seduce your senses – from plantation home tours to outdoor activities, from 19th Century architecture to festivals with world-renowned and local artists. Enjoy Louisiana’s indigenous cuisine with a farm-to-table ethos brought to you by locals who live to eat as part of their heritage.
Zip line over alligator-infested waters, airboat through picturesque bayous or learn the Cajun two-step in any number of bars, club or even restaurants. You can dip your toe or immerse yourself in local culture wherever you go in Louisiana – there is always a homegrown scene that welcomes visitors as if they are family.
Top 5 Experiences
- Enjoy more than 180 miles of beautiful wetlands, home to alligators, birds and other wildlife on the Creole Nature Trail.
- Visit Lafayette and southwest Louisiana, the centre of Cajun Country. This area is steeped in history, with exquisite food, living museums and friendly locals who make sure visitors enjoy an authentic experience!
- Tour or sleep in an opulent plantation home from the 19th Century; a time when 80 percent of America’s millionaires lived in Louisiana.
- Take your pick from a huge variety of outdoor activities including fishing, golfing, birding, camping, hiking, biking, kayaking and yes, alligator hunting!
- Shop til you drop! From the French Quarter to Magazine Street, there are plenty of choices in New Orleans, plus it’s tax-free to international visitors.