The song ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ often evokes expectations of cute country towns and simple living. However, Alabama’s large cities such as Birmingham, Montgomery, Huntsville and Mobile also offer chic restaurants, stylish bars, superb museums and galleries showcasing Alabama’s rich history.
Bordered by Tennessee to the north, Florida to the south, Georgia to the east and Mississippi to the west, Alabama is the physical heart and the cultural soul of the Deep South. The state’s regional airports connect with numerous US hubs while international hub Atlanta in Georgia is just a couple of hours’ drive from Birmingham and Montgomery.
Food and music are key elements of the Alabama experience. Enjoy local specialities in slick modern restaurants and unpretentious local diners. Live music venues from packed juke joints to sophisticated city bars play jazz, blues, country and everything beyond.
Alabama was the birthplace of the Confederacy and the American Civil Rights Movement and its architecture reflects its cultural influences from the French, Spanish and British.
Explore the diverse state of Alabama which sweeps down from the foothills of the Appalachian mountains to the 32 miles of while sandy beaches on the Gulf Coast.
Top 5 Experiences
- Breathe in fresh mountain air and incredible panoramas at Lookout Mountain and experience the World’s longest urban whitewater course on the Chattahoochee River.
- Visit the port city of Mobile, plus beautiful nearby beaches of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, which make a great destination after exploring New Orleans.
- Soak up jazz and other music genres in Birmingham’s clubs, bars and restaurants and enjoy a Sunday gospel choir service at 16th Street Baptist Church.
- Tee off on the famous Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail with shots ranging from a bluff above the Alabama River to the flowered fairways of Point Clear.
- Follow in the footsteps of music legends like the Rolling Stones and Aretha Franklin at Fame Recording Studios in Muscle Shoals.